DIY: Are You Kitten Me? Invitation.
*If I haven't responded to your comment about this template, please email me at email@example.com. It's easier to keep track that way and I'd hate to inadvertently miss someone's request.*
Olivia's 1st birthday invitation was a pop-up card, so when her 2nd birthday rolled around, I knew I wanted to do another! Her birthday party theme this year was "Are You Kitten Me?" (based around the aesthetic of a kitty box template from Lucille Michieli).
Lucille Michieli’s Kitty Box Template (free download)*
Paper Trimmer (I use a heavy duty Carl 15” trimmer.)
Glue (I used Elmer’s adhesive roller)
Photos of the pop-up subject
- Using kitty box template, I moved things around in Apple Pages to create an invitation template. I printed it on 110 lb cardstock.
- Cut each piece out. I used a paper trimmer.
- Fold the two rectangles in half.
- Cut out a small, thin strip of cardstock. Fold it into a hook-like shape.
- Adhere it to the inside.
- Place the photo onto the strip. (I printed wallet-sized photos and cut them out one by one.)
- Cut two lines with an exacto knife to insert the ears.
- Glue down the two ear panels on the inside.
- Place the two folded halves on top of each other and glue them together.
You can play around with the concept to create different types of pop-up cards. This is, generally, how I make all of mine, but I usually print front and back instead of gluing two layers together.
*Prior to creating the invitation, I emailed Lucille to ask for her permission to use her template in a different way. A big thank you to her!